Monday, May 7, 2012

Urban Farm Challenge- Seed Starting


Well, I didn't do a lot of planting in April.  I had gotten most of my spring stuff done in February and March and my summer stuff wasn't ready to plant until May, but I wanted to take part in the Urban Farm Challenge, so...  I got this tiny little plot planted. :) I have never tried growing beans in the garden before.  My only experience with growing beans is those weird experiments you do with your kids that usually end up a moldy mess.  I plan on planting beans this year and lots of them, but most of them I was saving to plant in May.  I went ahead and planted this little place and if it grows, I will have Scarlet Runner beans growing up my privacy fence.  I really hope they grow!  Not only can you eat Scarlet Runner Beans, but they provide red flowers that can attract hummingbirds.  How fun!  I planted these so when you look out our back windows, you can see them.  So far, they have not sprouted, but I'm not giving up hope.

How am I doing with the rest of my homesteading goals?  Well, I have come to the conclusion that I was trying to do too much to soon.  I even gave myself tennis elbow making sourdough.  lol!!!  I am trying to rush myself.  I need to learn to pace myself and take it one step at a time.  So right now, I am concentrating on my gardens and learning about herbs.  I am hoping to get some fruit trees and berry bushes, but that is still up in the air. 

3 comments:

  1. My beans took forever to sprout this year too. Good news is they finally popped up and they're thriving now. We can't wait until they start climbing the runner poles we set up for them, they're so beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tennis elbow from sourdough! That is too funny. You won the garden broom in the challenge so I'm glad you managed to participate! And even if those beans don't sprout since it was too early you can plant more - I just planted my beans this week. Scarlet runners are so fun for the kids and so lovely to look at. We don't like to eat them because they get too hairy but they pickle great! Email me at annette (no space) cottrell at yahoo (dot) com and let's get you your broom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I look forward to using the broom. :)

      Lynn

      Delete